A brief history of the Eparchy of Gorakhpur
This Eparchy is the fruitful outcome of the silent and long perseverance of the catholic faithful and their spiritual leaders both in the past and present. Although the Christian origin in Gorakhpur is longer and more distant, the Catholic Christian origin in Gorakhpur could be traced back to a group of native Catholics from the then Bethiaraj who migrated to this city as agricultural labourers in the beginning of 1800 during the British colonialism. However, the Handbook of Bengal Mission mentions about the Roman Catholic mission undertaken by Fr. Joseph Maria around 1740 and some Italian missionaries under the guidance of the Vicar Apostolic of Patna appeared to have rendered pastoral assistance in Gorakhpur When Fr. Raphel of Livorno was appointed chaplain in Gorakhpur, he built St. Joseph’s Church, now the Cathedral, in 1860. In 1886 Gorakhpur became part of the Diocese of Allahabad.
By 1906 Gorakhpur became the headquarters of various mission outstations, thanks to the works done by Fr. Joseph Hiki and Fr. T. Considine between 1892 to 1906. Gorakhpur-Banaras prefecture was erected in the year 1947 and was entrusted to the dynamic leadership of late venerable Msgr. Jerome Malenfant Ofm. Cap. In 1958, the Headquarters of the Prefecture was shifted to Varanasi. In 1967, the Gorakhpur-Banaras Prefecture got its name changed into Banaras-Gorakhpur Prefecture. In 1970, this Prefecture became the Diocese of Varanasi. Late Venerable Fr. Basilius Panat CST, the founder of the Little Flower Congregation, at the invitation of Msgr. Malenfant Ofm. Cap., visited this mission and worked out the modalities for sending his priests to begin the pastoral and evangelical activities in Gorakhpur in 1969-70. Since 1970 the CST fathers were actively involved in the Evangelical works in this prefecture which became the diocese of Varanasi in the same year. Next fourteen years saw progressive efforts resulting in the emergence of Gorakhpur as an Eparchy. Taking into consideration the problems typical to this vast area, the Eparchy has worked out pastoral, ecumenical, Inter religious, educational, rural developmental and health care apostolates.
The Eparchy has, today, 54 Eparchial priests, 22 religious priests, 7 religious brothers and 205 sisters to carry out the mission entrusted to it with the active involvement and support of the laity.
Parishes at a glance
Mission & Vision
Being faithful to Jesus Christ and in fulfillment of His Missionary Mandate for the salvation of humanity, the Eparchy of Gorakhpur shall bear witness to the liberating presence of the compassionate and merciful God and thus facilitate the coming of His Reign in the hearts of all people whom every follower of Christ shall love and serve as children of the same God and hence, as brothers and sisters.
Through personal and communitarian testimony of its ministers, faithful and collaborators, by means of proclamation of the Word of God, Pastoral Care, Works of Charity, Education, Rural development ministry, Healing, Empowerment and Liberation of the marginalized thereby, promoting the creation of a Human Society founded on the values of justice, fraternity and peace.
- Build up the faith of the few Catholics we have and strengthen the spiritual life especially of the married couples, youth and children.
- Create social awareness among people especially the exploited and helpless in society about their rights and dignity.
- Empower the marginalized people especially the Dalits and women through the medium of self-help and economic development programmes.
- Promote health awareness and health education highlighting prevention of diseases and acquisition of health habits.
- Promote non-formal and formal as well as higher education especially of girls and women.